Monday, March 12, 2007

Cultivating Roman Spirituality in Alaska

What is the best way for a layman to deeply impact the spirituality of a diocese? I have thought long on this question. Conservative talk radio is preaching to the choir. Writing books does the same thing. Bill O'Reilly does a good job at voicing a traditional opinion in the public arena, but how many lay people command that kind of media attention? No one can gain legitimacy standing on a street corner and accosting the public. Prayer works, but it must be accompanied by action.

So I matured as a Christian in Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada. Yes, in decadent, Sin City there lives a deep spiritual community capable of nursing a spiritual infant to full manhood ready to feast on solid food. The parish I attended probably seated somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 people in the sanctuary and there was standing room only every Sunday-and seven Masses! It seamed to me as if the whole valley was coming in to worship the Lord. Becoming a part of the Catholic community and thriving was never a problem. I know this is to a large extent an inside job, but none the less we are called to live in a community of Believers as well and our life as a Christian is diminished if we do not (religious hermits excluded, of course). Now I find myself in Anchorage, Alaska and longing for the spiritual life I experienced in Las Vegas.

So far the best idea I came up with on my own is to try to start a Latin class under the direction and with the blessings of the Archdiocese of Anchorage. As of yet, I have no idea where to do it, only slim clues on how to find others interested in learning Latin and no one to direct our formation. I know, it is not much of a plan yet, but I am hoping it will begin to develop a heartbeat soon! My thinking is Latin would be much more appealing to learn if we truly had a significant reason to learn it and an occasion to utilize it other than in the self indulgent pride of being able to boast that we can read Vergil in his own language. So if we pray the Liturgy of the Hours in Latin as a part of learning Latin that would be, in my mind, fulfilling. A German saying goes, if you want to think like a German, you have to talk like a German. I strongly believe the language we use heavily influences our though life and thought patterns. In this line of thinking, Latin may be a way of bringing us into closer communion with the Saints, especially if used in our prayer life, and the Liturgy of the Hours is always an excellent way to strengthen the individual, the community and the Church as a whole.

6 comments:

Sophocles said...

Dear Joel,

Cool. I really liked your article. Now we can read each other and where we're at any time. I look forward to checking this site often, dear brother.

Sophocles

Joel Gamache said...

Sophocles,
I also look forward to keeping up with each other. It will be good. We are truly blessed in the technology we have available today that makes it possible.

Sophocles said...

Dear Joel,

How are things? I got your message but no, I didn't receive an e-mail. I'll call you tonight a bit later.

Constantine said...

Hey Joel, it's me, Costa. Nice to see you here!

Joel Gamache said...

Costa,
It is really nice to see you here! I will be sure to check in with you frequently.

I really miss you and everyone in Las Vegas. Sophocles shared with me your father's return to the faith and renewed love for the Church. That is really exciting news! I find my level of excitement close to that of when I use to speak to Soph about returning to Orthodoxy. It does surprise me a little, although I guess it shouldn't. It surprises me because I do not know your father very well and only met him two or three times. It shouldn't because of the love we share in Chist and the unity we share in the communion of saints.

Be well and God bless you brother,
Joel

Sophocles said...

Dear Joel,

Please help. Your presence is needed here:
http://marshillathens.blogspot.com/