Saturday, May 5, 2007

Will Science Lead Us to God? (Part 1)

In all previous posts there has been an assumption of the existence of God. For this series I will not make that assumption, but will assume there either is or there is not the existence of a God, or Creator and Originator of the universe. There are many other assumptions we can and will make also. We can assume that natural laws are constants everywhere in the universe, that the universe is logical, that there are universal truths and we can know what they are, that the totality of human experience is admissible to this discussion but is valid only if it can be scientifically analysed or logically deduced. We will not assume this list is complete and may be altered upon a closer examination (any edits will be pointed out as such).

When I was a junior or senior in high school my mom told me to read the New Testament if I wanted to win the Nobel Prize for science. That statement was precipitated by a conversation about a Unified Field theory, which for some reason was in the news. In science, things that are really, really big do not always jive with things that are really, really small, so there is this idea that someone will someday develop a Unified Field Theory that will tie it all together and we will finally live in one big happy unified universe in which all things big and small will be explained. Well, this is not a Unified Field Theory, it is an attempt to prove the existence of God through the application and analyzation of science. First of all I want to acknowledge that this is very ambitious and it may not succeed, so again I want to solicit any help I can get. I am also open to criticism and would enjoy challenges and corrections when I am wrong.

Entropy is characterized by the movement of an ordered state to a disordered state and is the natural behavior of the universe. The conservation of energy asserts that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but only transformed. It is spelled out in the First Law of Thermodynamics, which is, "The change in the internal energy of a closed thermodynamic system is equal to the sum of the amount of heat energy supplied to the system and the work done on the system." This law is accompanied by a Second, "The total entropy of any isolated thermodynamic system tends to increase over time, approaching a maximum value." I know that is a lot of information to digest in a short amount of space, and my only aim in this post is to lay out some of the foundation and begin the discussion, so I will stop with that.

No comments: