Saturday, June 2, 2007

Communion of the Saints

One of the things the Roman Catholic Church teaches is that Jesus Christ is truly present in the sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist. I firmly believe this and am fascinated with it. Some have raised objection to this and even quoted scripture to deny it! One of the argument raised in opposition is that Christ died once for all and that He does not make Himself a sacrifice again and again. The Roman Catholic Church teaches that in the Eucharist all participating parties transcend time and all are present on Calvary during the time of the crucifixion of the Lord. This is one of the ways in which we experience the communion of the saints. This seems like it could be a foreshadowing of the things to come in Heaven. I wish I could discuss this at length, but I just do not know enough about it. If anyone else knows, please speak up.

4 comments:

Constantine said...

Joel, the way I heard it explained is that there are (at least) two forms of time; kronos and kairos. We are in kronos, human time; minutes, seconds, years, etc. God deals in kairos. I'm not sure, but I think kairos has to do with eternity. We pray to God from kronos (June 2, 2007, 11:42pm), God responds from kairos (eternity)

Since Christ is eternal in His divinity, the sacrifice is eternal, although it takes place for us in Kronos every Sunday. As I understand it, when we enter the Church during the Divine Liturgy, we have left kronos and are then in kairos (eternity)......I think. ICXC NIKA

Joel Gamache said...

That makes plain good sense to me.
Thanks.

Joel Gamache said...

Costa,
Did you read my post entitled God and Time? I went over the way God's relationship to time differs from ours in that post. I am just curious to see what you think and if you have any thoughts about that or any thought about being eternally present at Calvary during the reception of the Sacred Blood and Body.

Constantine said...

No Joel I didn't see it. But I will go and see. Thank you.