Thursday, July 12, 2007

Into Great Silence

I have been greatly anticipating "Into Great Silence" coming to Alaska. Finally it did and played the past two evenings at a local theater. It is a documentary film about Roman Catholic monks who have the reputation of being the most ascetic brotherhood in the Western Tradition. Of course there was not an extensive amount of talking. In one of the reviews I read while waiting for the documentary's arrival I was amused that the producer spoke about developing a plot, but as I watched it I really saw a story develop, and I thought a lot about it all, and my own role in the grand scheme of things. Even the local cows observed the rule of silence. Those rebellious birds never quit running their mouths the entire time though, not even in the dead of winter! One of the things I found particularly funny were the multiple "documentary interviews" given by the monks. There were ten to fifteen of such interviews, and I finally saw the humor in them about half way through (okay, I never said I was swift). Another thing I got a kick out of was in the end credits - they showed no less than five (count 'em - one, two, three, four, five) sound editors! This is one I would definitely be able to watch again.

3 comments:

Sophocles said...

Joel,

Sounds like a film I'd like to see. Man, those dern burds!!! My bird never shuts her yap either, no matter what.

Joel Gamache said...

Soph,
That's funny. One of the things I thought about while watching the film was the charges against the Templar Knights. In a couple of the scenes it showed the monks celebrating mass and they were all gathered around the altar with no layity in the church and they were celebrating the mass in Latin. I could understand how an outsider could look at that ceremony and think it is freaky, and a secret ceremony. Couple that misunderstanding with a covetous heart and enough power to do something about it.

Anonymous said...

Well said.