Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Likeliness of God (Part 11)

In the post entitled "Newton and Photosynthesis" I came to the conclusion that it is possible for God to exist and possible for evolution to exist. In the post "Orgins of Life On Earth" I excluded the possibility of aliens beginning life on Earth, not merely as something I felt was ridiculous, but because if it were true then where did the aliens come from? I made the assumption that Earth is as good a place as anywhere in the universe to begin all temporal life in the universe. In the interim I feel I presented sufficient evidence to exclude Darwinian Evolution as a viable means of explaining the development of life on Earth. Where does that leave us? It leaves us certainly with the possibility of a Creator of the universe who designed and controlled the development of life on Earth, and any number of other unmentioned possibilities for an explanation of our existence. Unfortunately I have no other explanations to offer, so we shall conclude that it is likely that our universe was created by an Unmoved Mover.

I presume an astute student of metaphysics would be able to offer a variety of options from a diversity of world religions. I am no such person. The only account I am well versed in is the Genesis account of the Judeo-Christian tradition. I have a sprinkling of knowledge of other religions, but am only familiar with very basic concepts. I know, for instance, that Eskimos believe in one Creator, and that Pagans believe in a multitude of petty gods, usually under the authority of one powerful god or a small group of powerful gods who share authority over all others who is/are the Creator/s, which ever the case may be. I have no idea what Buddhism, Shintoism or Taoism offer as an explanation. I imagine that Hinduism falls under the category of Polytheistic Paganism. It was widely believed for many centuries that the universe is eternal, that there was no beginning to it, but both religion and physics deny such a notion. This, however, is not meant to be a philosophical explanation to our existence, but a scientific one.

One of the problems with science is that it has historically been put at odds with religion, whether justified or not. In the next post I will attempt a reconciliation of the two.

No comments: